Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vegan-ary Day 1

This is my 100th blog post. For some reason I find that really exciting :-)

Today was a successful day by my standards. I didn't eat what most would call a "balanced" diet, but I expected that. The first few days are about breaking old habits and cravings and getting acclimated. Once that happens I'll start focusing more on variety and balance.

The last few days, we were well aware that Vegan-ary was approaching and so we wanted to eat any foods that we knew we were going to miss. This was an attempt to "get it out of our system" in hopes that these same foods wouldn't trigger us to cheat or want to cheat. So we have binged on down home southern comfort food, fast food breakfast sandwiches, Chinese buffet selections, BBQ, you get the idea. We were so miserable after last nights Mexican splurge. Bloated, heartburn, stomach cramps, diarrhea. Basically how we used to feel all the time. And we have been feeling like that for days, since our "cheat-proof binge-fest" started.

Well today, after one day of Vegan-ary, I am happy to report all the bloating, heartburn, and stomach issues GONE! I'm still really exhausted and feeling too lazy and tired to clean or do anything besides veg in front of the TV really, but I'm hoping those will improve with time.

My run today was cancelled due to rain...and I just didn't feel like running in the rain.  So I'll move that back to it's regularly scheduled Wednesday.

Basically, no drastic changes yet, just ridding myself of the heartburn and all. Thankfully no major cravings yet either.  I did have a mild headache all day and just SO tired.  I also realized that I bought myself a little miniature Ben and Jerry's ice cream cup so I could have one last ice cream splurge, but I forgot to eat it!!  Ugh.  Now it's mocking me.  I plan to feed it to the kids soon :-)

3 comments:

  1. wow, awesome for you and glad the heartburn has seized! Yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it through your first day! Your headache could be from sugar withdrawal and it could last a couple of days. Your body actually craves the sugar you have been consuming. I'm not going vegan but I have gone vegetarian! This is my 11th day with no meat. I feel fantastic with plenty of energy. I am trying new recipes and actually enjoying the change. I might just stay this way forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From just now reading your previous post, maybe I actually have gone mostly vegan! I don't eat processed foods, I don't eat eggs (yuck!), and I have now given up meat. I don't eat dairy except for yogurt because of a lactose intolerance. Hey... I'm vegan! ;) funny... I blogged about foods today too. Keep at it! You will feel so much better in no time!

    ReplyDelete