Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Body Machine

Last night I was running intervals on the treadmill (and made it 2.62 miles-take that treadmill!) and an interesting thing happened.

I was obsessing about my body...but in a good way.  I couldn't help but notice how powerful my legs and arms felt when I was doing a quarter mile sprint.  I felt good.  I felt strong.  I kept thinking what an amazing machine the human body is that it can propel us over miles and miles, on all terrains and in all kinds of weather, if only we let it

My body is not something to be degraded for being lumpy, or saggy (babies you know), or too heavy, too hairy*, too wrinkly, too short...any number of derogatory things I've said to myself over the years.  My body should be loved and cherished for what it can do.  I have run two half marathons and countless 5/10/15Ks.  In a few short months I'm going to run 26.2 miles.  My body is not my enemy...my body is amazing!!

*Seriously.  I shaved my arms for an entire year, all through 6th grade.  I feel a little bit sad for that girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment