Saturday, March 12, 2011

My First Time

Today I had a first while running.

You might ask: The elusive runner's high?  A new pace or distance?  Conquering an impossible course? 

But you would be wrong.

Because today was the first time...

That while running...

I beefed.


(Warning: blood ahead.  If blood freaks you out, you may want to skip the first picture)



You see, it was 60 degrees this morning.  Our warmest run of the year so far.  I was definitely feeling the heat, and I was very weave-y.  I would alternately run Dave off the sidewalk or nearly fall off the sidewalk myself.  I was thinking, "it will be a miracle if I manage to not fall today".  And, I kid you not, at that exact moment I was no longer upright.  It really was that fast.  One second I was up, and the very next second I was down on the ground.  I was tired, embarrassed, and defeated.  So I did what anyone would do...I think...  I laid my head right on down and cried. 

Dave tried to move me, but I kept saying "No, no, no, no, no" so he assumed it was too painful because I had broken a bone.  Really, my pride was the worst of the pain in that moment.

A nice older gentleman in a truck had apparently witnessed the whole thing.  He parked on the side of the road and ran back to us, cell phone in hand, to make sure I was okay.  Naturally, it only served to embarrass me further that he was a witness.  (In hindsight, I am thankful for him in case something had been terribly wrong.)

His witness of my embarrassing moment prompted me to get up and get ready to finish the run, so I wouldn't continue to be a spectacle for anyone else.  Because, unfortunately, we were still 2 miles from the car.  So...I just got up and started running.

A few minutes later it occured to me that I had never stopped my Garmin when I fell...so when I hit the button to "re-start" it...I had actually stopped it.  Talk about adding insult to injury.  We definitely finished our 8 miles, because we ran all the way back to the car.  But I have no idea how long it took us.  And we were on pace for a great finishing time.

Especially because those last 2 miles we were flying.  Something about having an injury to care for propelled me like nothing ever has.  I didn't feel pain, just an intense desire to be done running and take care of myself.

We went straight to CVS, where we bought some first aid supplies.  I could swear that I bought the non-stinging wound wash spray, but apparently I would be wrong.  That stuff hurts!  I felt much better after I got my knees cleaned and covered.



In the aftermath, I found that I had skinned (as in, no skin left) both knees.  My right knee is bruised and swollen up nice and huge.  The palms of both my hands are skinned and only a little bloody.  It hurts to walk or bend my legs.  And it has probably ruined my weekly mileage.  Pretty sure I won't be able to hobble out my last run tomorrow.

At least this arrived in the mail today:



We are going to go watch Just Go With It and eat copious amounts of popcorn while I also eat that entire chocolate bar. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh no!! Awesome job finishing your run! It is definitely NOT easy to recover from a fall.

    Enjoy your chocolate bar - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, your pace is great! I have loved exercise since my weight loss journey began 10 years ago, but never felt like a runner...now that I've found all of these runners' blogs, I am motivated to step it up! LOVE your blog and sorry about the bad spill today! Newest follower, hope you'll stop by my healthy living blog
    http://www.letsmoveitmommas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you took pictures of the blood! I feel like it is a total must. The more grossed out my friends get over my bloody pictures, the happier I am!

    Why aren't there pictures of you with your head on the ground?? We might need a re-creation! Nice job on the strong finish!

    ReplyDelete