Saturday, January 8, 2011

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Snow...

Today was my scheduled long run. I really didn't want to go. Usually that's because I cant get out of bed in time. Today I woke up at 6:45 for some unknown reason so that wasn't the problem. What was giving me the bug to stay home this time was the snow. We only got about an inch, and normally running in the snow doesn't bother me in the least but I just couldn't get motivated. Nevertheless I dragged myself out the door and did my run. I ran an hour and only made it 5.16 miles thanks to the slippery roads. But it was one of my favorite runs in a long time because it was so quiet and peaceful with the rest of the world still in bed.


The sun was just coming up and the snow looked really beautiful in the sunshine.  Just as important, I got my long run done so I didn't have to spend the rest of the day scheming how to fit it in!

Afterwards, I came home and took my first ever ice bath.  I have a LOT of trouble with my knees and hips as my mileage increases.  I have read about the benefits of ice baths over and over again, but I am VERY sensitive to the cold so I've always hesitated to actually try one.  But I decided to take the plunge today.

It was cold!!  That first point of entry was the coldest and I wasn't sure I was going to make it.  But it actually felt good on my muscles so I soldiered on.  After the first 2 minutes I was ready to throw in the towel, but I figured less than the minimum prescribed 10 minutes wouldn't really give me any benefit and then the 2 minutes I had already invested would have been a total waste.  So I stuck it out for a full 10 minutes.  It actually got better about 4 minutes in, when I went totally numb.  I haven't decided yet if I'll try the ice bath again, but I must say that so far I haven't had any knee or hip pain today which is unusual after my long run.  Maybe there is something to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment