Friday, January 28, 2011

"My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy."

~John Bryant

Wednesday night I finally got to run again.  It was A-MAZ-ING!!  I ran 3.04 miles in 30 minutes, or a 9:53 pace.  To date I have 31.1 miles on the books for the month of January.  I plan to run 3 more today, 6 tomorrow, and 3 on Monday which would put me at 43.1.  A couple of weeks ago I analyzed the numbers to try and see what kind of monthly mileage I should be shooting for so that I can run a PR at my half marathon in May.  This January I will run about 20 miles less than I ran the year that I had my best half marathon time.  I’m not letting this get me discouraged!  Instead I’m using this as my motivation to pick it up in February.  I will get my February mileage at or above the mileage I put in during the famous 2009 training season!

In other (related) news, I’m changing my work schedule so that I can get my mileage up.  It is a problem when your work begins to interfere with your running J.  I was working 9 hours a day every Monday-Thursday.  Then one Friday I would work 8 hours, and the next Friday I would have off.  I still worked 80 hours every 2 weeks, it was just spread out so I could have a 3 day weekend every other week.  It sounds nice, but it posed two problems:

  1. I don’t even run on Fridays, so it helped zero with that goal.  I spend my whole day off cleaning house while everyone else is at work/school.  That isn’t even fun.
  2. I have a 30 minute drive to work, so with a 9.5 hour day (1/2 hour lunch) and a total of 1 hour driving time I was leaving home in the dark and coming home after dark.  That seriously puts a dent in my running time and means most of the runs I do get in are on the treaddy.

So I am officially going back on a traditional 8 hour a day work week.  That’s the schedule I had when I PRed after all. 

Is it bad I have to rearrange my work because running is more important (well, you know…not money-wise, but happiness-wise)?  How do you fit in runs during the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment