Sunday, February 6, 2011

The 5K That Wasn't

We are having some seriously crazy weather in the midwest this winter.  Tuesday and Wednesday we had what forecasters were calling a "blizzard".  I hardly think it was that bad, but we did get some nasty ice with a few inches of snow on top.  Then Friday we had a heat wave.  It got up to 37 degrees and the sun was shining so all the snow melted.  I was thinking my 5K Saturday would be a go for sure, no more snow!  So I wake up Saturday morning, eat my banana, get appropriately bundled up for a 30 degree day.  Then I peek out the window to remote start my car and find another blizzard.  We had a few inches of snow back on the ground and so much snow falling you could hardly see through it.  Ridiculous!

Well I couldn't see paying $25 for a race to set my Personal Worst.  Ever tried to run fast in the snow?  It's a recipe for disaster.  I also couldn't bring myself to do my long run on the treadmill since I was already appropriately dressed for a cold outside run.  So I dug the car out so I could head out to my regular run spot.

I climb in the car, turn on the wipers, and nothing on the drivers side.  My passenger side windshield is cleared, but in front of me: all snow, all the time.  I get out in the snow to inspect and find my wiper is definitely broken.  My ingenious husband somehow jams it back together long enough to get to the auto parts store a couple blocks away, where they replace my wiper blade for free and upgrade it to a better model-score!

It was a crazy morning but I did manage to get my long run in.  I did a 2.5 mile loop (that I designed in my head while running it or I might have picked a longer distance) then came back to my car for a drink and a snack.  Then I set out on my loop again but extended it this time.  My second loop was 3.5 miles, for a total of 6. 

The first loop I ran with my glasses in my hand because the snow was coating them until I couldn't see.  I smartly left them in the car for the second loop.  Here's a picture of the snow on my first loop, which unfortunately doesn't do justice to the amount of snow that's actually falling at that exact moment:




I was so glad when the run was done so I could get inside and get warmed up.  It took me 1:12:15 for 6 miles in the snow, for an average pace of 12:03. 



My last 6 mile run not in the snow was in 1:03:29 so the snow slowed me down quite a bit but honestly, I expected it to slow me down more so I'm happy.

After that the hubby took us to Five Guys for lunch.  Ever been there?  It was our first time and I wasn't nearly as impressed as I had hoped to be from all the rave reviews.  It was okay, just not great. 

Today I have a 2-3 mile easy run scheduled.  I'm playing it by ear, depending on how the old bum knee feels.  Either way it will officially put me in double digits for the week, which will be the first time this training season that I've hit double digits!!  I'm excited!

3 comments:

  1. You didn't like Five Guys? That's too bad - it's definitely one of my favorite junk food places, but that may be because I looooove french fries. Anywhere, anytime! I could eat that whole bag and still want more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your snow run sounds, and looks, AWESOME! we live in the midwest too, and i really thought it would be fun to get out and do a run (properly dressed, of course) while it was snowing last week. it never happened, so i'll have to live vicariously through your photo! congrats on the double digits!!

    ps my husband loooooves 5 guys. i can only handle so much of the burgers, but i do agree that they have great fries...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got one up on me... I've never even tried to run in the snow!

    I like the snow photo though!!

    ReplyDelete