Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Too. Much. Chocolate.

Today I ate half a bag (you know...the big bag) of peanut M&M's.  There was also a run in with a Caramello Bar and a bottle of Yoo Hoo.  And some hot chocolate.  And a couple bites of cadbury dairy milk.  I don't know what got into me!  Tomorrow I plan to pack a giant salad to eat at work for lunch.  My body needs veggies and protein before it shuts down from the sugar overload.

Today I ran a quick 3 miles outside before taking T. to dance class.  I decided to get back to the basics thanks to something I read at The Hungry Runner Girl today.  I couldn't go all the way, I mean I didn't leave my Garmin at home or anything crazy like that.  But I did decide not to look at it, except when it sounded the alarm at the mile markers*.  I did not watch my pace, I did not stress that I was running too fast or too slow, I did not count down the tenths of miles until I would be back at my car. 

Instead, I ran what felt good.  If it felt too easy, I picked up the pace.  If it felt too hard, I slowed it down a little.  I appreciated every foot step, and even had a monologue going on in my mind about how each and every foot step was literally getting me closer to my immediate half marathon goal and my more distant full marathon goal.  I appreciated the nature around me...even if I wasn't happy that it was snowing!!  And the entire run felt amazing.  It wasn't one more check on my To Do list.  It was me, enjoying myself.  It was the best solo run I've had in a long time.  And my time wasn't too bad either, even without checking the pace every 20 seconds.  Go figure.

3 miles in 32:13.  Average Pace: 10:45. 

*I just learned how to set my Garmin to automatically chime at me at the mile markers on Saturday.  Yes, I have had this watch for two years.  No, I am not ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment